Movin on…

As the rear section was finished (June to mid-July), I began to tackle the left side. I planned to start from the rear and work forward. That left me at the left rear wheel well, rear side window, and “C” pillar… Mess. Mess. Mess…

Left rear area with rotted window drip edge – slide cover removed

Working top down…

After removing the side window and vent, the rot was cut out. A repair section was fabricated and welded into place.

After welding, and repairing the window channel, I turned the the vent window. Unfortunately, the side vent window was rotted beyond repair. By sheer luck, my son and I found a 70′ VW Transporter at a nearby salvage yard. They have (3) type 2 buses there! From the transporter I was able to source a good condition replacement for $10.

The wheel well area was cut out exposing rot at the “C” pillar. The rot forged into rear inner rocker panel, and wheel well. Once cut out, metal was fabricated for the pillar and welded into place. A replacement rear wheel panel was sourced, and it too was welded in…

C pillar rot

Eventually, by the end on July we finished up the section…

The glass looks broken… but it’s just a reflection of the BB hoop.

3 thoughts on “Movin on…

  1. Under the left rear window of my 72 bay window I have the same rust problem do you know where I can get replacement tin prefabed or is it something that I will need to have made any addvice you can give me will be much help thank you

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *